Our mission at Linton United Methodist Church is to spread the Love of the Lord! Jesus is the risen savior. He died for our sins, so we may be saved by grace. Linton is a welcoming church. We strive to serve God in all possible ways.
Linton Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized in 1867 by Rev. Thomas Randolf. The first members recorded were Mrs. J. F. Gentry, Mr. and Mrs. J. S. McNichols. Riley Vinson, E. Shepherd and wife, and James Herndon.
Meetings were held in a tobacco warehouse until 1869 when a house of worship was erected, which was used both for church and school. Major McGraw gave a lot for the erection of a church. In 1883, a church was built. By the spring of 1884 a completed church boldly stood. Progression of time saw the congregation increase in size. Meetings on Wednesday and Sunday mornings were initiated. Improvements over time provided meager, yet sufficient, housing for the tiny congregation numbering about twenty-five in 1875.
The creation of
Linton became part of the Cadiz Circuit-South in May 1965 along with
In early 1995, Rick Martin proposed a new addition to the existing Linton sanctuary. This would house a larger fellowship hall, kitchen, bathrooms and two more Sunday school rooms. The proposal was accepted and groundbreaking for the new addition was held in May of 1996. Sadly, Rick passed away during the construction of this addition and was not able to see his dream realized. The building continued with the congregation giving up many Saturdays to nail boards. The addition was completed and dedicated in May 1997. At that time there was also a stained glass window dedicated to the memory of Rick Martin and a church library dedicated to the memory of Jim Sutley. The church continues to minister to the Linton community through its community activities.